Badia a Coltibuono was founded in 1051 by monks of the
Benedictine Vallombrosan Order who also began planting the first vineyards in the Upper Chianti area. In 1810, when Tuscany was under Napoleonic rule, the monks were forced to leave Coltibuono and the monastery was deconsecrated and,
after passing through a number of hands, was bought by the Stucchi-Prinetti family. Badia a Coltibuono has been well-preserved and there are guided tours of the chapel and the
italianate garden. Wines from the property are for sale and the Coltibuono restaurant is well-regarded.
Worth an extended visit. More about Badia a Coltibuono.
Tuscany tourism web site promotion by ammonet
All original content, images, translations, source code and HTML code
Copyright © ammonet InfoTech
1998 - 2016. All rights reserved.